Caldwell New Jersey
Historical Photographs and History
The Crane House, 29 Clinton Rd, West Caldwell, built circa 1810, photographed in 1936
Bloomfield Avenue, Caldwell, NJ circa 1905
Bloomfield Avenue (right) and Academy Road, looking west, circa 1905
Churches were an important part of community life at the founding of Caldwell, and still are for many. Above, the historic Presbyterian Church, circa 1905.
At left, the First
Baptist Church of Caldwell,
The High School, circa 1907
The High School, circa 1920 (hand-colored)
|Bloomfield Avenue, Caldwell, NJ circa
note horse hitching posts at curb.
|The Trolley Station in Caldwell, NJ, circa 1905.|
The Monomonock Inn, opened in 1902, was one of the reasons Caldwell promoted itself as the
"Denver of the East". It had a view of the hills to the west. Photo circa 1903.
The Monomonock Inn looking quite dapper in the late 1920's. With over 90 guest rooms,
this was a popular resort for the well heeled of New York, and in it's hillside setting,
a welcome respite from the summer heat of the cities.
THE MONOMONOCK INN IN CALDWELL, was built in 1902 and closed in 1942. It is described on the back of this postcard as "an exceptional spring, summer and autumn resort, delightfully situated on the Watchung Mountains, with an elevation of 500 feet". It says that this was the most healthful and picturesque section of New Jersey, only 20 miles from New York, with excellent commuting facilities. There were buses from the Herald Square Terminal in New York every half hour direct to the Inn. The Inn had luncheons, dinners, banquets, bridge parties. It had acres of private grounds, a putting green and tennis courts with swimming pools. A 9 hole golf course was nearby.
The Lincoln School, circa 1920's
The old Parsonage of the Presbyterian Church, the Birthplace of President Grover Cleveland in
1837 during the time his father was the Pastor there, a National Historic Landmark.
Central Avenue, looking north from Bloomfield Av, circa 1905
Forest Avenue, circa 1905
Local Resident Kevin writes: "I believe that this is Gould Place looking toward Bloomfield Ave.
The house on the left is 51 Gould Place". Thanks Kevin for identifying this location. Circa 1920.
Citizens National Bank, Caldwell New Jersey, circa 1925
An overview of Bloomfield Av and downtown Caldwell, NJ circa 1940
Grover Cleveland High School, circa 1956. This building now serves as
the Junior High School.
Caldwell NJ, circa 1966, corner of Bloomfield Ave and Roseland Ave
These Automobile License Plate accessories were popular in the 1950's and 60's.
A Short History of Caldwell, New Jersey 07006
The rolling hills and valleys of
the Watchung Mountains and the abundance of forests for lumber, streams
and productive farmland first attracted early settlers to Caldwell and
western Essex County. In 1702, a group of colonists from Newark
purchased nearly 14,000 acres from the Lenape Indians for the equivalent
of $325. This area, comprising most of northern Essex County, was known
as "The Horseneck," due to its unique configuration. They were
joined by Dutch settlers from Bergen County. But clear title to the land
was disputed several decades later by the original English Proprietors,
resulting in "The Horse Neck Riots" in the 1740's, one of the
earliest Colonial American challenges to British authority.
|This page was first placed online in 2002 as a community service of First Baptist Church of Bloomfield, NJ, just off Bloomfield Center. Our Church was founded in 1851 by residents of Essex County who desired to meet together for worship and the study of God's Word. Over the years a number of Caldwell residents have been members of our church. During all the time spanned by these photos, First Baptist has had an involvement in the community life of the area, and a spiritual impact in the lives of it's people. Now, over 160 years later, that impact is as vital as ever.|
Click to Return to Main Page
This Caldwell History page is from www.FirstBaptistBloomfield.org
a community service of First Baptist Church (in downtown Bloomfield Center)
1 Washington St, Bloomfield, NJ 07003 - tel 973-743-2400