Glen Ridge New Jersey Historical Photographs, History, Photos

gr-rrsta13.jpg (55670 bytes)

Circa 1905 - Glen Ridge NJ Railway Station, corner of Ridgefield & Bloomfield Ave

For over 130 years, residents of Glen Ridge have passed through the train station on Ridgewood Avenue. The original wood building, built "up the road" in 1872, housed the ticket office and a barbershop. Beginning in 1883, the station also served as the town's Post Office. The present Queen Anne-style building was constructed in 1887 thanks to the vision and effort of local developer A.G. Darwin. Mr. Darwin proposed a deal with the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad: he would fund most of the station's construction if the railroad promised always to stop at Glen Ridge. Built of "rubble" stone from the nearby Orange Mountains, the Ridgewood Avenue Station became one of the first on the Morris and Essex Line. The station is now the second oldest public building in Glen Ridge. In 1930, the building hosted Thomas Alva Edison as he pulled the lever for the first regular electrically-operated train on the line. In the 1970s, New Jersey Transit assumed ownership of the Ridgewood Avenue Train Station. The building is listed on both the National and State Registers of Historic Places.

Glen Ridge New Jersey Train Station circa 1905
Circa 1905 - Glen Ridge Railway Platform, Station Building at upper left.


Circa 1905 - Glen Ridge Railway Platform, same photo as above, now hand-colored


Horse-Drawn Fire Truck - ca. 1908


Circa 1905 - The Glens


Photo circa 1903 - Ruins of the Old Moffatt Mill


gr-moffat08.jpg (102206 bytes)
Circa 1905 - Ruins of the Old Moffatt Mill with Bridge


circa 1908 - The old Water Wheel is starting to fall apart

grhs-c06.jpg (35999 bytes)
Circa 1905 - Original High School


gr-sch.jpg (121237 bytes)
Circa 1909 - Sherman Avenue School

grwindsor14.jpg (59270 bytes)
Circa 1910 - Windsor Place, west of Hillside Ave

With it's ideal suburban location, Glen Ridge in the 1920's and 30's had a host of features that made it easy for Real Estate companies to sing it's praises. These upscale magazine advertisements, at left from 1920 and at right from 1934 emphasized the easy commuting on the Lackawanna.


The Glen Ridge Library, circa 1928


Glen Ridge Civic Center
Circa 1930's - Civic Center, Glen Ridge, New Jersey

Glen Ridge NJ 07028 traces its beginning to 1666 when sixty-four Connecticut families led by Robert Treat purchased land from the Lenni Lenape Indians and named it 'New Ark' to reflect their deeply held Christian commitment to worship freely without persecution. The territory also included the future towns of Bloomfield, Montclair, Belleville, and Nutley. When Bloomfield seceded from Newark in 1812, Glen Ridge was a section "on the hill" composed mostly of farms and woodlands with the exception of a thriving industrial area along the Toney's brook in the Glen. For most of the nineteenth century, three water-powered mills produced lumber, calico, pasteboard boxes and brass fittings. A Cooper, a sandstone quarry and mine were nearby. With the arrival of the Newark and Bloomfield Railroad in 1856 and the New York, Montclair and Greenwood Lake Railroad in 1872, Glen Ridge began its transition to a suburban residential community. Stately homes slowly replaced orchards and wooded fields. Residents "on the hill" became unhappy with their representation on the Bloomfield Council. In spite of repeated requests to Bloomfield officials, roads remained unpaved, water and sewer systems were nonexistent, and schools were miles away. In early 1895, the stage was set for succession. Several men met on the third floor of the Robert Rudd's home on Ridgewood Avenue. They marked out the boundaries of a 1.45 square mile area to secede from Bloomfield. At the February 12, 1895 election, the decision to secede passed by only twenty-three votes. Robert Rudd was elected the first mayor of Glen Ridge.
-
This page is a community service of First Baptist Church of Bloomfield, NJ, in the Center. Our evangelical Church was founded in 1851 by residents of Bloomfield & Glen Ridge who desired to meet together for worship and the study of God's Word. During all the time spanned by these photos, First Baptist has had an involvement in the community life of the area, and a spiritual impact in the lives of it's people. Now, over 150 years later, that spiritual impact is as vital as ever. 

Click to   Return to Main Page
This Glen Ridge History page is from  www.FirstBaptistBloomfield.org
a community service of First Baptist Church 
(in downtown Bloomfield Center)
1 Washington St,  Bloomfield, NJ 07003
tel 973-743-2400